These are my favorite way to use those fresh garden tomatoes of the summer. I tried these for the first time after the movie Fried Green Tomatoes came out (I loved that movie!) and have made them many times since. These have parmesan cheese in the coating which I think gives them a different twist.
First you will need some fresh green tomatoes. These beauties came fresh out of my backyard garden.
You will also need some flour, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, milk and some vegetable oil for frying.
Whisk together the eggs and milk.
Mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
I like to slice my tomatoes about 3/4 of an inch thick. If they are too thick they won't cook all they way thru in the middle.
Dip the into the egg and milk mixture.
Dredge in the flour and shake off the excess flour.
Then dip these back into the egg and milk mixture.
Dredge these into the bread crumbs and cheese mixture.
Pour enough oil into the bottom of skillet to give it a thin layer.
Heat oil over medium-high heat until oil starts to sizzle. Carefully add tomato slices and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and then salt to taste.
I like to to dip mine in ranch dressing or whatever you're favorite dressing is. These are also great in a sandwich!
1 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
salt to taste
- Slice tomatoes approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in another bowl.
- Dip tomato slices into egg mixture and then dredge into flour. Then dip back into egg mixture and then coat in bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil over medium high heat until a sprinkle of flour sizzles. Carefully add tomato slices and cook on each side approximately 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve dipped into your favorite salad dressing or serve in a sandwich.