I have tried a lot of chili recipes and I have to say this is one is excellent. It is quick and super easy to make too! It makes a thick hearty chili that my family really loved. This is the first time that I have ever made chili using sausage and it really made this dish amazing. I used Mild Italian sausage from Johnsonville and this recipe can also be found on the Johnsonville website.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Italian Ground Mild, Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, cook sausage and ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. 2. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with cheese if you like and serve immediately.