This is a family favorite recipe that I have been making for years now. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com It is actually the only kind of salad that I can get my boys to eat. It may seem odd to mix tater tots into a taco salad but it really tastes amazing. The great thing about this recipe is you can add whatever toppings you like, I like to add diced tomatoes and onions. I usually serve this with ranch dressing and sometimes I will mix half ranch and half salsa for the dressing. This recipe is very forgiving so you can make it your own but just be sure not to leave out the Ore-Ida tater tots because this is what really sets this recipe apart from other taco salads.
- 2 cups frozen Ore-Ida tater tots
- 1/2 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe or stuffed olives
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or whatever salad dressing you prefer)
1. Bake Tater Tots according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
2. Stir in taco seasoning. Divide Tater Tots between two serving plates or bowls. Top with taco mixture, cheese, olives, lettuce, taco sauce and sour cream.