Looking for a healthy treat for your furry friends? These are easy to make and my dog Max just loves these! The best part of making your own homemade doggie treats is that you can have piece of mind by knowing that you are not feeding your dog some mysterious ingredients that may make them sick. I found this recipe on page 83 of the Dec./Jan. 2014 issue of Allrecipes magazine. The recipe can also be found here at Allrecipes.com These also package up nicely to give away as gifts for the holidays!
These doggie treats are made with wholesome ingredients. Some wheat flour, white flour, corn meal, rolled oats, peanut butter, eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
First combine all of the dry ingredients. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
Form into a ball on a flat surface.
Use a rolling pin to flatten dough out.
Cut the dough into shapes using a cookie cutter. ( I found this cute dog bone shaped cookie cutter at Michael's). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Turn off oven and let biscuits remain in the warm oven for 20 minutes longer for the treats to harden.
Here is my precious Max patiently waiting for his doggie treat (while I try to juggle my camera with one hand to snap his photo. Ha Ha.) Max is a 13 year old lab mix and he is truly the best dog in the world and a much loved part of our family. And he really, really LOVES these doggie treats!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups water, or as needed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. Mix together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal and oats. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually pour in water, oil, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well.
3. On a flat surface use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Cut the dough into dog biscuit shapes using a cookie cutter. Place the biscuits onto the prepared cookie sheet.
4. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes. After the biscuits have cooked 20 minutes turn off the oven off but let the biscuits remain inside the oven for another 20 minutes to harden.