I have tried a few different granola bar recipes and these are my favorite so far. I found the original recipe on Allrecipes.com but I made a couple changes to it. My version will be at the bottom of this post but for the original recipe you can click here. I found the original recipe to be a bit too sweet so I made them again and reduced the amount of sugar. My family is not wild about raisins so I substituted Craisins dried cranberries in place of them. The Craisins add a little bit of tartness to these granola bars that I prefer over regular raisins. These bars are great to wrap up to take with you for healthy snack to eat on the go.
Mix together oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, Craisins and salt. And then mix in the honey, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla.
Pat into the bottom of a prepared 9 X 11 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into bars and remove from dish.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup warmed up coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, Craisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.