Here is a delicious heart-healthy way to prepare salmon that I tried recently that not only tasted great but also makes a beautiful meal to enjoy. The nice folks at Mazola® sent me a sample of their Mazola® Corn Oil to try and they also have a collection of recipes that can be found here at Allrecipes.com. I learned something new while working with this product and that is according to a study; Mazola® Corn Oil lowers cholesterol more than extra virgin olive oil. That was surprising news to me. You can find more information about other corn oil health benefits by clicking here.
To make the rub for the salmon: combine paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, oregano, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl.
Cut the salmon into 4 portions and brush with oil.
Distribute the rub over the salmon generously coating all surfaces. Place salmon on a shallow baking pan with sides.
Here is a photo of the salsa that I made to go with this salad. I did substitute some mandarin oranges in place of the grapefruit and I am not sure if that really altered it too much but to be honest my family was not crazy about the salsa. I think it had more to do with the cilantro that they did not care for. Although it was very pretty and colorful, I would probably not make the salsa the same way again. But I have to say the rub that was on the salmon was delicious and the salmon was cooked perfectly! I love being able to make a meal that is heart healthy to serve to my family. I will definitely be cooking salmon again in the future using this rub.
- Sweet and Spicy Rub:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 2 teaspoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- Grapefruit Salsa:
- 2 cups grapefruit sections
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, oregano, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl.
3. Cut salmon into 4 portions and brush with oil. Distribute the rub over the salmon generously coating all surfaces. Place salmon on a shallow baking pan with sides.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish flakes easily.
5. Coarsely chop grapefruit into bite size pieces. Combine all salsa ingredients and serve with salmon. Grapefruit salsa can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.