I love being able to make food at home that tastes like the restaurant food my kids like to eat. This bread tastes very much like the bread from Subway. I like knowing that this is made healthier without any artificial ingredients or preservatives in it. It is actually pretty simple to make just takes a while to wait for the dough to rise.
Combine the dough ingredients and then place this in a large bowl.
Cover this with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area for about 30 minutes.
Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into 4 equal parts. Roll these out into long rolls about 9 to 10 inches long. Place these on a pan that is lined with parchment paper.
Remove plastic wrap and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and butter the tops with a stick of butter and cover with a clean kitchen towel. This step is important to soften the bread/ Let this cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoon olive oil
3-3 1/2 cups flour
1. Heat water to 110 degrees F. Add yeast and sugar and let this sit about 5 minutes until it starts to form a foam on the top. Add salt and olive oil.
2. Add one cup of flour and mix until combined. Add another cup of flour and mix until combined. Slowly add more flour a 1/4 cup at a time until a soft dough is formed. The dough should stick a little to the bottom of bowl but pull away from the sides. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and soft.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Remove dough and divide into four sections. Roll each piece of dough into a long skinny loaf that is about 9 to 10 inches long. Place the rolled loaves onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Cover the loaves with a piece of plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray and allow the loaves to rise for an hour.
5. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and rub the tops with a stick of butter and then cover them with a clean dish towel. Cool for 30 minutes before slicing them. Prepare with your favorite sandwich toppings.
Note: Rubbing the loaves with butter and covering them with a towel to cool is very important to keep them soft.